Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Internship-Movie Review

While watching this 2 hour long Google advertisement, I decided I want to work there. I'm not sure that was the goal of the film, but I'm sure Google isn't too upset about it. I know I'm not the only one that feels that way after seeing this movie. They make Google look awesome, which I'm sure it is. I don't know how accurately they depicted the Google headquarters, but if it's anything like they made it seem, I'm sure their employees are overjoyed.

The Internship stars the Wedding Crashers team of Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson, who play two salesmen that get laid off from their jobs. Vince Vaughn decides to search Google for possible employments, when he realizes that he wants to work for the search engine itself. He gets Owen Wilson to buy in, and there we have our movie. They get assorted into different teams competing for the ultimate job at Google, and they must complete a bunch of different types of business tasks to win a permanent stay at the headquarters.

I was very skeptical of this movie. I was worried that they waited too long to reunite Vaughn and Wilson. I know Wedding Crashers is a classic, but that movie came out almost 10 years ago now. I was worried the chemistry was going to be dry, and I was worried that it wasn't going to be funny anymore. I know that Shawn Levy is on a dry streak as far as comedy films go, but he did direct one of the most surprisingly awesome films I've ever seen-Real Steel. Sidebar: After looking up Shawn Levy on Rotten Tomatoes, I found out that there's going to be a third Night at the Museum movie. No. Please stop. It's like the Hangover or Shrek series-nobody cares anymore.

I do have a decent amount of problems with The Internship. For one, the movie could have been so much funnier had it been rated R. They are so obviously going for a cash grab here, and they know that more people will go see it with the PG-13 rating. There were just plenty of noticeable moments in the film that could have used different language to enhance the comedy and certain scenes that were edited and could have been portrayed more realistically. The film would have been all around more fun had it been rated R.

Another problem is, the movie is noticeably long. I've heard that when the first edit of the film was cut, it was going to be around 2 hours and 45 minutes. We can all agree that's too long, especially for a comedy. That's how long the Dark Knight Rises is. Thank goodness the Internship chopped it up a bit. It's still long. And it feels long, too. It's not a quick 2 hour movie. It doesn't go by fast by any means.

However, I did enjoy this movie for what it was. I'm a big fan of Vince Vaughn and his fast talking comedy that he's so good at. I liked his performance for what it was. He essentially plays the same character he always plays, which isn't a bad thing. He's great at what he does.

The Internship definitely had a lot of comedic scenes and dialogue. There are jokes every 5 seconds and while not all of them hit, there are enough funny jokes that you can still enjoy it. It's like a bag of Trail Mix. You don't like everything, but there are enough M+M's and raisins to get you through it happy.

It can't be a full comedy movie review without discussing the competition for "scene stealer". This one is tough, but I'm going to go with Max Minghella. Minghella plays the antagonist, who is easily the smartest intern there and he feels threatened by Vaughn and Wilson's team in the competition. He's definitely not the funniest guy in the film. There are at least 7 people that are funnier than he is, but he was great. He is really good at playing this type of role, and he owns it. I like this guy, I think he's talented. I just hope he doesn't get put into that kind of typecast where he always plays this smart, I'm-better-than-you, douchebag (this role is very similar to his role in Social Network). He has a handful of comedic moments, he's certainly not the best part of the movie, but I liked him a lot.

As far as the best comedic performance goes, it's a toss up between Vaughn and the Asian intern on their team, Yo-Yo. What's weird, is that Yo-Yo is a completely unknown actor. He is non-existent according to Imdb and Rotten Tomatoes. I can't find anything about what this guy's name is. He'll be in comedies for the next couple of years. Between Vaughn and Yo-yo, it just depends on what kind of comedy you like. Vaughn's fast talking gets me every time, but Yo-Yo brings a different dynamic that is funny as well.

Overall, it's a good movie, definitely not great. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of people out there who really love this movie and give it a perfect 5 out of 5, and I could easily see people hating this movie. It's a movie that's going to be on cable all the time within 4 years or so. It's one of those kind of movies where it's Saturday afternoon and it's on FX so you just decide to watch it because nothing better is on. It's that movie.

I'm going to give The Internship a 3.3/5. It's funny, you will enjoy the movie, but it could have helped itself by chopping 20 minutes out of the film and having an R rating. It definitely will leave you wanting a job at Google, that's for sure.

The Internship is directed by Shawn Levy starring Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. In theaters June 7th. Rated PG-13. Run Time 119 minutes. You can follow Will Harmon on Twitter at @willharmon8

No comments:

Post a Comment