Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Top-10 Movie Cameos of All-Time

With This is the End coming out this Wednesday, and without a doubt underachieve in the box office due to Man of Steel coming out on Friday, I wanted to shed some light on This is the End for this week's Top 10. With plenty of cameos in the film, I decided to rank the best film cameos of all-time. Who knows, maybe that Michael Cera cameo makes the list.

Honorable Mentions:
Mike Tyson, The Hangover (2009)- I have publicly made my opinions on the Hangover known. I'm not a fan, and the fact that they forced two sequels on us definitely doesn't help. I'll admit, my hatred for these films might have something to do with the fact that it missed out on the Top 10. I am happy with my selections nonetheless.

Ray Charles, Blues Brothers (1980)- I really wanted to put this at 9 or 10, it just got squeezed out by a few other ones. Blue Brothers is a classic, as is Ray Charles. If I didn't mention this one I'd hate myself for it.

Most of the NBA, Like Mike (2002)- Every basketball player ever makes a cameo it seems like. It was so much fun growing up with this movie. It's one of those movies you can watch back and enjoy because of the era you watched it in.

Cate Blanchett, Hot Fuzz (2007)- One of the only reasons I'm even mentioning this is because most people don't know she's even in the film. She plays the nurse at the very beginning when she breaks up with Nicolas Angel. You can't really tell that it's her, but it's a fun easter egg that you notice every time once you know it.

As always, presented in reverse order: The Top 10 Movie Cameos of All-Time

10) Matt Damon, Euro Trip (2004)-
First off, I think Euro Trip is just okay. It's a little overrated. Without a doubt, the Matt Damon cameo as Donny in the band is so unexpected and so unlike Matt Damon. When you think of Damon now, isn't it weird to think he ever put himself in this situation? Going from Ocean's, Bourne, Invictus, and the Departed among other great films to this cameo was an odd situation to me. It's a very intriguing cameo as well, as the song "Scotty Doesn't Know" (that Damon lip sings on stage) took off for a good few years with a lot of popularity. I was a fan of the song for a couple years before I even knew it was from Euro Trip.

9) Luke Wilson, Ben Stiller, Jack Black and Tim Robbins, Anchorman (2004)- There are plenty more cameos in this film, and I expect plenty more for the sequel in the winter. The scene where Wilson, Stiller, and Robbins enter and start a news team brawl is one of my favorite scenes in movie history. These guys have their niche, they know their comedy and it works to a great degree in this film. When all of the news teams are coming together (one that includes Vince Vaughn, though he has a larger role than these 4), it's hilarious. Jack Black's cameo was separate from the news brawl, playing a motorcyclist that spawns one of the most quotable lines ever: "The bad man punted Baxter!"

8) David Bowie, Zoolander (2001)- Zoolander always goes under the radar when discussing Stiller comedies and that whole group of Vaughn, the Wilson brothers, etc. It's really funny, and when Hansel and Derek Zoolander have a "walk-off", the legendary David Bowie shows up to judge the contest. He has a small role, but it's one that isn't outdated and probably never will be. Also, a much larger role, David Bowie played Dr. Tesla in the drastically underrated Nolan film The Prestige.

7) Chuck Norris, Dodgeball (2004)-
Well, Ben Stiller and this niche comedy is dominating my Top 10 so far. It just ended up that way I guess. This is one of the most remembered cameos ever. I always was amazed how this cameo came together. How did they get him in it, and how did he sign off on being the brunt of a joke? It doesn't seem like something he would have wanted. This is a movie that I wish would make a sequel. It never will, though.

6) Ryan Reynolds, Ted (2012)- I don't know much about this cameo, but if I remember right, I'm pretty sure the character was written by Seth Macfarlane for Ryan Reynolds specifically. It wasn't one of those cameos where they were like "let's see who we can get!". I wonder how much money Reynolds made for being on screen for a cumulative 10 seconds, pretending to be gay, and kissing a guy. I feel like it certainly made him a good dollar for how little work he had to do. When he showed up for the first time and he so awkwardly said "Hi!" as he was introduced as one of Mark Walhberg's friend's boyfriend, I nearly lost it. I think I laughed harder at Ryan Reynolds in this movie than anything else. And that's saying something. This movie was hilarious.

5) Tom Cruise, Kevin Spacey, Danny DeVito, John Travolta and Gwenyth Paltrow- Austin Powers: Goldmember (2002)- This was done to perfection. I'm a huge Austin Powers fan and I am absolutely ashamed that I left it out of my Top 10 movie trilogies all together. I would have definitely replaced the Spider Man trilogy with this one. I wonder how they got Spacey to do this when he was in the prime of his career. I loved this part of the movie, I love this movie, and I love this trilogy.

4) Tom Cruise, Tropic Thunder (2008)- Wow! Back-to-back appearances from Tom Cruise! Hands down the best part of Tropic Thunder. The dynamic in the theater watching Tom Cruise dance over the credits was one of the Top 5 movie dynamics I've ever been in. It was so awesome watching Cruise, who is well-known as an action star and doesn't really do anything like this, do, well, something like this. It was so funny. Every time I watch Tom Cruise do anything now, I just think of this dance and how goofy he can be. Which isn't a bad thing at all.

3) Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise, 21 Jump Street (2012)- I'm going to start off by saying I'm not as big of a 21 Jump Street fan as a lot of people are. It's a very overrated comedy. The jokes really aren't that funny. I will say that it is very underrated as an action-crime film. I think people get so hung up on the comedy that they're missing how cool some of the action scenes are. With that said, the funniest part of the film is near the end when Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise, the original cast of the TV show, unveil themselves to the drug dealers. The interactions between Depp/DeLuise and Tatum/Hill had me dying laughing. And then when Depp gets shot-you just laugh. It was a great cameo that I didn't think was going to come. Obviously, I wanted it to come and obviously it did.

2) Michael Cera and Emma Watson, This is the End (2013)- This is going to be so tough to write about and not ruin the movie, since, the movie hasn't even came out yet. I probably will come back to this one in a couple of weeks and edit this with spoiler content, but for right now-especially Michael Cera, these two were two of the best cameos I've ever seen. I also am planning on returning in a couple of weeks to see if these two still stay this high on the list. I'm afraid I'm still high on the movie and it's fresh in my mind, but I legitimately think these two belong this high. I love Cera, you'll never look at him the same way. It's very similar to Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder, where, every time you see Cera, you just think of the inslopsicated, shitfaced Michael Cera from This is the End. Same for Emma Watson, you will always remember when she broke into James Franco's house during the apocalypse. For her, having an iconic role like Hermione under her belt, it makes it even more fun to watch her do this kind of a role. (You can view my This is the End full review here)

1) Bill Murray, Zombieland (2009)- Without a doubt the best cameo ever put to screen. Zombieland is one of the funniest, action packed movies ever. It's certainly in my top 25 or so, films ever made. Most of that is due to the fact that Bill Murray steals the show. Now, I'm about to blow some minds with some knowledge of the Murray cameo. First off, it wasn't supposed to be Bill Murray, in fact, he wasn't even on the list of names. It was supposed to be Patrick Swayze, and they were going to mock Dirty Dancing. Swayze was going to be a zombie, and he was going to run into Tallahassee's (Harrelson) arms and he was going to kill Swayze. Due to Swayze's sad death, they had to scratch this scene. The list of names they wanted to get included up to 50 names or so, and they wrote different scenes for each one. A few names for mention are Matthew McConaughey, Joe Pesci, Mark Hamill, and Van Damme. McConaughey came the closest, in which he supposedly accepted the role, and then backed out. The idea for Murray came about when Harrelson brought him up as a suggestion. Eventually all the business side of things came together, and Murray agreed to not only the role, but poking fun at himself. He loved the idea that he was pretending to be a zombie so that he could still golf. He also was thrilled with the idea of reenacting Ghostbusters. Which brings up a question I have. How many scenes did they recreate? I have a feeling they did more than recreate just that scene. Also, my favorite line he says, is when asked about any of his regrets, he responds "Maybe Garfield". So grand. A comedic icon.

You can follow Will Harmon at @willharmon8 on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment